Lightning Strength & Conditioning Internship 2018
The Sunshine Coast Lightning (SCL) Netball Club, with the support of the ASCA, is seeking applications for the 2018 strength and conditioning internship. This internship is a minimum 10 month position with a minimum of 20 hours per week availability. The internship will be a paid position aimed at building experience within an elite sports science program, working with professional athletes and high performance coaches.
The Sunshine Coast Lightning netball franchise is a joint venture between Melbourne Storm Rugby League Club and the University of the Sunshine Coast (USC) and was crowned in its inaugural season as 2017 Suncorp Super Netball Champions. The club is based at USC’s Sippy Downs campus, on the Sunshine Coast in south-east Queensland.
Our Vision is “to be a world class club that inspires, excites and values our people” and we are proud to employ people who share the Club’s vision for performance excellence, both on and off the court.
This position is based at the University of the Sunshine Coast, Sippy Downs, with a start date no later than 1st March 2018. The intern will be supervised directly by the Head Strength and Conditioning Coach, and will report to the High Performance Manager (both of whom are Level 3 ASCA Master Coaches).
Primary Position Role:
Under the direction and tutelage of the designated Mentor and Technical Coaches, develop the knowledge and skills of a professional strength and conditioning coach whilst providing coaching support for Sunshine Coast based athletes and specified camps of SCL and commercial programs.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The intern will assist with a number of initiatives in the area of strength and conditioning including:
- Assist the Head strength and conditioning coach with squad based training sessions (Gym, court, recovery etc)
- Testing and data collection of strength, power and fitness testing
- Collaborate with performance analysis staff in regards to player tracking and load management
- Assist in various roles during court skills sessions
- Direct supervision and programming of development athletes, where applicable
This internship requires some out of hours work and some travel may be required. To ensure their own safety and the safety of others, employees of SCL/USC must work in a safe manner and comply with all policies and procedures that relate to Occupational Health, Safety and Welfare. This includes current Working with Children Check (blue card), CPR and first aid qualifications.
The successful applicant may have the opportunity to apply for a Masters by Research/PhD scholarship at USC at the completion of the internship. Applicants wishing to pursue further academic research qualifications would need to meet the entry requirements at USC (having attained a first class honors or Masters Level and preferably published or demonstrated intention to publish peer-reviewed research)
This internship is aimed at postgraduate applicants with experience in a strength and conditioning setting. This is not designed for undergraduate work experience hours.
The internship is open to strength and conditioning coaches who meet the following criteria:
- Level 1 ASCA or higher, with a willingness to complete ASCA Level 2 and join the Pro Coaches Scheme at the completion of the internship
- Current First Aid/CPR qualification
- A degree in Sport and Exercise Science (or equivalent)
- Working with children check (Blue card in Qld)
- Drivers’ Licence
- ASADA Level 1 and 2 Education modules
- NISC level 1 Education module
Applicants must be:
- Keen to develop a broad range of skills within High Performance Sport
- Passionate about influencing and improving physical performance in elite netball players
- Driven and show initiative
- Reliable and responsible
- Flexible around work times/days
- Female coaches are encouraged to apply
HOW TO APPLY
All applicants must provide the following in their application:
- Cover letter addressing the key criteria listed below*
- Current CV
- Copies of academic transcripts and coaching qualifications
Key criteria to address in your cover letter (in 1 page or less):
- Why the applicant would like the position (career aspirations)?
- Practical experience in strength and conditioning to date
- Relevant qualifications
*Applications that do not outline the above key criteria will NOT be considered
- Applications close 2nd January 2018
- Interviews commence from 15th January 2018
- Starting date – on or before 1st March 2018
Applications with cover letter, CV and other relevant documentation must be emailed to email@example.com no later than 5pm on 2nd January 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted by 15th January via email to attend an interview.
For any further enquiries or questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org