Constellation Cup Facts and Figures
Via Netball Australia
- Australia has an average winning margin of 8.4 goals against New Zealand.
- New Zealand has an average winning margin of 6.9 goals against Australia.
- Should Kate Moloney take to court, she will become the 174th athlete to represent Australia.
- Lisa Alexander will become the third most experienced Australian coach, coaching her 67th test. Alexander’s coaching record is 66 games, 53 wins and 14 losses, with an 82% winning record. Jill McIntosh is Australia’s most experienced coach, with 94 tests, whilst Norma Plummer is the second most experienced, with 89 tests.
- Australia has played at Spark Arena (formally Vector Arena) 10 times, winning 6 games and losing 4. Last time they were at the Arena was 15 October 2016, where they beat New Zealand 62 – 50 in the Constellation Cup.
- The Constellation Cup is a perpetual trophy between Australia and New Zealand, first awarded in 2010. Australia has won 6 of the 7 series, with New Zealand winning in 2012.
AUSTRALIAN TEST MATCH RECORDS
ALL-TIME INTERNATIONAL RESULTS
Played: 428; Win: 354; Loss: 65; Draw: 9
ALL-TIME INTERNATIONAL RESULTS v NEW ZEALAND
Played: 134; Win: 82; Loss: 50; Draw: 2
ALL-TIME INTERNATIONAL RESULTS played in NEW ZEALAND
Played: 85; Win: 60; Loss: 23; Draw: 2
ALL-TIME INTERNATIONAL RESULTS played in AUCKLAND
Played: 34; Win: 24; Loss: 9; Draw: 1
ALL-TIME INTERNATIONAL RESULTS played in AUCKLAND v NEW ZEALAND
Played: 19; Win: 9; Loss: 9; Draw: 1
ALL-TIME INTERNATIONAL RESULTS played in NEW ZEALAND v NEW ZEALAND
Played: 56; Win: 33; Loss: 22; Draw: 1
|HEAD TO HEAD AUSTRALIA v NEW ZEALAND|
|68 goals (21 Oct 12, 9 Oct 16)||Highest Score||67 goals (ET)(21 Jul 07); 66 goals (14 Oct 10)|
|27 goals (14 Aug 48; 1 Feb 85; 3 Feb 85)||Lowest Score||11 goals (20 Aug 38)|
|31 goals (28 Aug 48)||Biggest Win||25 goals (29 Oct 05)|
PREVIOUS FIVE MEETINGS:
4 Sep 17, Netball Quad Series, NZL (57) def AUS (47)
28 Jan 17, Netball Quad Series, AUS (57) def NZL (50)
20 Oct 16, Constellation Cup, AUS (49) def NZL (45)
15 Oct 16, Constellation Cup, AUS (62) def NZL (50)
12 Oct 16, Constellation Cup, NZL (53) def AUS (51)
WORDS FROM THE COACH:
On their opponent…
The Silver Ferns put out a strong performance in the Netball Quad Series, and we know that victory will give them confidence. They will have strengthened since then, with three extra tests against England. We are certainly wary of the Ferns; they will be dangerous on their home turf, with a home crowd.
On bouncing back after a loss…
We didn’t play our game on our terms against the Ferns in Invercargill, we played into their hands and there were too many errors. We absolutely were disappointed with the performance we put out there, so rest assured we won’t let that happen again. There has been much talk about this game, but we are ready to put our lessons into action and use it to spur us on to start the Constellation Cup strong.
On the approach opening test…
We will need to bring our smarts, sharp skills and our true Australian grit to the opening test. We have done a lot of analysis and know what we need to work on in order to put out a game we can be proud of. You’ll see plenty of different combinations across the court, which will be critical in the lead up to next April’s Commonwealth Games. Think of it as a bit of a chess game, from both teams.
TV BROADCAST GUIDE:
Sydney – 9Gem Thursday 5 October 5.30pm AEDT (live)
Melbourne – 9Gem Thursday 5 October 5.30pm AEDT (live)
Hobart – 9Gem Thursday 5 October 5.30pm AEDT (live)
Adelaide – 9Gem Thursday 5 October 5.00pm ACDT (live)
Darwin – 9Gem Thursday 5 October 4.30pm ACST (live)
Perth – 9Gem Thursday 5 October 2.30pm AWST (live)