Sunshine Coast Lightning (Lightning) strongly values its connection with the local community and is passionate about engaging with our members, fans and supporters. We receive a wide variety of player and community requests and will endeavour to provide support where possible and assist with all reasonable player appearance requests.
These guidelines assist us in accommodating the high volume of requests in a fair and manageable way. Being an elite sporting team, we have a strong focus on high performance and continually developing our athletes. Therefore, appearances are scheduled around player availability, team commitments and Netball Australia’s requirements.
We do our best to ensure that the Sunshine Coast community can interact with the team wherever possible, while at the same time making sure the requests don’t interfere with playing, training and personal commitments (such as work, study or annual leave). We would love to fulfil every request we receive, however unfortunately it isn’t always possible.
In the community 2019
Community connections 2020
guidelines and criteria
Preference will be given to Lightning affiliated associations, charity partners, fulfilling corporate and sponsor obligations and to community engagement programs that promotes a healthy and active lifestyle and participation in sport.
Upon receiving a request, we take the following into consideration:
- The nature of the community service, school or organisation.
- The impact on participation in sport.
- Its relevance to promoting healthy and active lifestyles.
- Risk assessment and impact on the public profile of Lightning and netball generally.
- The support, connection or promotion of netball – including local or state netball associations.
- The nature and extent of the player(s) involvement. There must be a clear role for the player at the event such as addressing the group/event, signing autographs or handing out awards.
Thank you for your interest and ongoing support of Sunshine Coast Lightning!