Australia v England Preview
- Australia has the least experienced Quad Series team, with 240 total test caps, at an average of 20 tests per athlete. England has the most experienced Quad Series team (note: 15 athletes listed at time of distribution), with 825 test caps, at an average of 55 tests per athlete.
- England has 8 athletes with 50 or more test caps, including 2 centurions (Jade Clarke, Geva Mentor) whilst Australia has 2 athletes who have 50 or more test appearances (Caitlin Bassett and Madi Robinson).
- Australia has an average winning margin of 15 goals against England.
- England has an average winning margin of 4 goals against Australia.
- Courtney Bruce and Emily Mannix are yet to debut for Australia. The next athlete to debut for the Diamonds will be the 172nd athlete to represent Australia.
- Tegan Philip is three goals away from achieving 100 international goals. Philip’s most recent Diamonds appearance was 22 October 2014 against England in Canberra.
- Australia’s only loss to England on Australian soil was 20 June 1981, ENG (41) def AUS (34) at Horden Pavillion, Sydney.
- Australia has played England once in Brisbane, defeating England 33 – 32 on 17 June 1981, at the Chandler Complex (now known as the Sleeman Centre).
- The Diamonds are the holders of the Netball Quad Series title, winning the series in August 2016 and February 2017.
The two teams last met in the final test of the Netball Quad Series on 5 February 2-17 in Wembley, England. The Diamonds defeated the Roses 47-46.
AUSTRALIAN TEST MATCH RECORDS
ALL-TIME INTERNATIONAL RESULTS
Played: 425; Win: 352; Loss: 64; Draw: 9
ALL-TIME INTERNATIONAL RESULTS v ENGLAND
Played: 71; Win: 66; Loss: 5; Draw: 0
ALL-TIME INTERNATIONAL RESULTS played in AUSTRALIA
Played: 158; Win: 126; Loss: 27; Draw: 5
ALL-TIME INTERNATIONAL RESULTS played in BRISBANE
Played: 11; Win: 8; Loss: 2 ; Draw: 1
ALL-TIME INTERNATIONAL RESULTS played in AUSTRALIA v ENGLAND
Played: 23; Win: 22; Loss: 1; Draw: 0
|HEAD TO HEAD AUSTRALIA v ENGLAND|
|69 goals, 25 May 99||
|58 goals, 20 Jan 13; 26 Jan 13|
|14 goals, 12 May 56||
|11 goals, 12 May 56|
|40 goals, 25 Feb 05||
|7 goals, 20 Jan 81; 26 Jan 13|
PREVIOUS FIVE MEETINGS:
5 Feb 17, Netball Quad Series, AUS (47) def ENG (46)
31 Aug 16, Netball Quad Series, AUS (66) def ENG (46)
24 Jan 16, England Tour, AUS (55) def ENG (41)
22 Jan 16, England Tour, AUS (60) def ENG (44)
20 Jan 16, England Tour, AUS (58) def ENG (52)
WORDS FROM THE COACH:
On what to expect from the England Roses…
“We are expecting a very tough, hungry outfit for success. We know we have a very big task on our hands and it’s going to be a fabulous game. We want lots of people watching on TV and plenty of green and gold in the stands.”
On having a strong start to the international season…
“It’s absolutely important on so many levels to have a strong start to our international season, not the least to give this young group a boost of confidence about what we have been doing at work. It sets the tone, and if you drop a game you can’t win a trophy, so at the end of the day we have to win this game.”
On what to expect from the Diamonds during the Quad Series…
“You can expect some things that are a little bit different from us. We have a different defence end, but young people certainly surprise us and that’s hopefully what we will see. We just know we’ve got to work together really well as a team, and that’s what we always try to do. If we can do those things well, then everything will take care of itself.”
Via Netball Australia